Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Aqueduct Is En Route to WisCon!

In case you had any doubts-- perhaps because I haven't been able to scrape together the time to post about it before now-- Aqueduct Press is indeed coming to WisCon this year. We'll be arriving tomorrow. Kath is driving in from Seattle, hauling many boxes of books. She was caught in the terrible rain in Montana, though, and because a seventy-mile stretch of I-90 was closed due to flooding, has been forced to detour north, to I-94, which will make reaching Madison in good time a bit more challenging. I'm in Minneapolis right now (where I've discovered there is a street named "18 1/2 St," the first numbered street name I've ever encountered with a fraction in its name) and will be driving to Madison tomorrow with Tom. (The only books we're hauling is a carton of Never at Home, which we had shipped directly from Thomson-Shore, our printer in Michigan, so that they'd be sure to reach us in time for WisCon.)

This year you'll find Aqueduct authors and editors galore at WisCon: Eleanor Arnason, Suzy McKee Charnas, L. Timmel Duchamp, Karen Joy Fowler, Carolyn Ives Gilman, Theodora Goss, Eileen Gunn, Andrea Hairston, Lesley Hall, Liz Henry, Gwyneth Jones, Ellen Klages, Claire Light, Kristin Livdahl, Josh Lukin, Mary Anne Mohanraj, Nancy Jane Moore, Debbie Notkin, Nnedi Okorafor, Geoff Ryman, Anne Sheldon, Nisi Shawl, Rachel Swirsky, Sheree Renee Thomas, and Cynthia Ward. Nisi Shawl, of course, is the Guest of Honor, so you'll be seeing a lot of her.

In past years I've tried to list all the programming Aqueduct's authors have been scheduled for, but I just couldn't manage to do that this year. I will mention, however, readings being given by Aqueduct authors, as well as other programming that I'm involved in. Nisi Shawl will be reading at Room of One's Own on Thursday evening, and Saturday afternoon at 2:30 in Wisconsin. (Right after a panel in that room that I'll be moderating.) Carolyn Ives Gilman, Eileen Gunn, Claire Light, Mary Anne Mohanraj, and Nancy Jane Moore will be reading Sunday morning at Michelangelo's ("Blood and Chocolate: We read it and eat!). Andrea Hairston and Sheree Renee Thomas will be reading with Beyon'Dusa: Wild Wimmin Rehearsing the Impossible in Conference Room 2 on Sunday afternoon at 1 p.m. And immediately after Beyon'Dusa, The Aqueductistas--Eleanor Arnason, Timmi Duchamp, Ellen Klages, Kristin Livdahl, and Anne Sheldon-- will be reading in that same room. I'll be moderating "This Is What Democracy Looks Like: The Wisconsin Protests" in Wisconsin at 1 p.m. on Saturday and participating in "The Self-Reflective Revolutionary," a panel which includes Josh Lukin, at 2:30 on Saturday in Conference Room 5, and another panel at 4 p.m., with Eileen Gunn, "Happy Ninetieth Birthday Carol Emshwiller!"-- which is supposedly in Senate A, but not on the schedule. (WTF?) Another panel seems to be scheduled at the same time in the same place... Hmmm... Guess I need to look into that.

Anyway, I may be a bit stressed this year, but I'm really looking forward to seeing all my friends and acquaintances attending. WisCon may have become a bit hectic for me in the last few years, but I love it as much as I ever have.

No comments: