Tuesday, November 4, 2008

More Election Night

It's been a long time since I've been able to listen to a speech made by the president of the United States. In his speech tonight, President-Elect Barak Obama invoked Lincoln. And he took us through the last century of US history through the prism of the life of Ann Nixon Cooper, a 106-year old black woman who cast the first vote of her life today in Atlanta. And then he looked ahead to the future and named our creed, "Yes we can."

"This victory," he said, "is not the change we seek, but the opportunity to make it happen."

Pinch me. I feel as though I'm dreaming. I've been hungry for this so long.

2 comments:

Josh said...

Yeh, there is that sense of unreality, isn't there?

Nancy Jane Moore said...

I supported Obama for many very serious reasons, but I must say the idea that for the next four years I won't be embarrassed everytime the President of the United States opens his mouth thrills me beyond measure. (The fact that I might actually agree with what he says makes me happy, too.)