Sunday, December 16, 2007

Year-end Lists: coming soon!

A couple of weeks ago I sent out a call to friends and authors of Aqueduct, asking them to report on their favorite books, film, and music of the year, and over the last few days the lists have been streaming into my email box. What a pleasure it is to me, seeing how wide and varied these lists are!

Is there not a trace of voyeurism in that pleasure? Getting a peek at others' pleasure when their lists offer more than a rubber-stamp endorsement of the quasi-official lists informing us of what we should be reading and viewing? But beyond that, many of the lists will be coming from writers. And since I recently reviewed Samuel R. Delany's About Writing for Strange Horizons (the review to be posted on Wednesday), when I see writer's reading lists I can't help but recall the importance Delany places on what writers read for how and what writers write.

I'll begin posting the lists soon, probably tomorrow.

No comments: